Wednesday 27 July 2011

The First Days Lesson

Nothing really exciting in the first instalment of the free 7 day trial lessons, but here it is anyway.
Basically a motivational piece that we all know but never act on.
People seldom do what they "should" do, but they almost always achieve what they "must".
Yes, we all get what we must have.
But the fact is, when most people declare "I must...", they don't mean it.
Are you one of them?
I was about to give you the dictionary definitions of the words “should” and “ must” but then I changed my mind because I'm sure you know what they mean.
You see, “I Should” refers to what you ought to do or the right thing to do; “I Must”, on the other hand, indicates no room for compromises... It's a  requirement or an obligation.
People do what they truly consider “must”s, whereas they might "try their best" to (but do not necessarily) do their “should”s.
Your mastering of a new language is a “must” not a “should”.
Keep telling yourself that.
Driven individuals are the kind of people who give themselves no other option but to achieve their goals. They would not settle for anything less than the best they can do. The rest people just hope for the best. 
If you were one of them I want you to stop “wanting” to achieve the language goal that you have set for yourself. I want you to stop saying things to yourself like “I'd very much like to achieve my language goal”, “It would be good if I can achieve my language goal” or “I'd rather achieve my language goals”.
Imagine the following scenarios:
  • I smile to you and say, “I'd be really happy for you if you can achieve your language goal.”
  • I look at you encouragingly and say, “If you achieve your goal, I'll give you a nice gift.”
  • I point a gun to you and outright threaten you, “You don't have a choice. I swear I'll hunt you down and kill you if you don't achieve you language goal.”
That's not a joke.

Let your imagination run wild. Imagine that really happened. Which scenario would force you into immediate action?
Of course the third one!
Now repeat after me.
“I must achieve my language goal. It is not a hope. It is not a want. It is a must, because I have no choice.”
Say it out loud. I am dead serious. Say it, not just in your head!
I want you to feel it. To really feel it. Take a break after reading this paragraph and visualize yourself talking in complete fluency the foreign language you want to speak. Notice the look on the person(s) you are talking to. Notice your own posture, breathing pattern. Notice the look on your face and every little detail around you. Do it now.
You have to eliminate any possibility of failure that is lurking in your mind. You don’t need to be a Star Wars fan to remember that famous line Jedi master Yoda mentioned.
No, not “May the force be with you.” The other one.
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”
For a small green guy, he sure knew what he was talking about. He was not giving Luke Skywalker an option of failure.
Once you have decided to learn a new language, learn it; master it. Don’t go into it when in your conscious there is this remote possibility of you failing and not learning anything. If you already think that you could fail, you might as well not go ahead.
Do not even consider failure as an option. Don’t even think about it. The only end result that you should achieve is mastering the language... and nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment