Sunday 31 July 2011

Start Learning a Language Now Free

Now I said itt's free and it is, but if you would like to donate for my charity cause at UNICEF feel free to do so by clicking the tab on the right hand panel

As I said yesterday, I don't believe there are any secrets to learning a language.
Either you have good memory retention or you haven't and there may be techniques to help you memorise things and words but getting your language up and running takes work.
I have used these methods in all my self learning and have done well until I stray off the path and then I struggle.

These are the things I recommend anyone to do when starting to learn a language

  • Memorise numbers, days  and months. Then try to write them down all of them 10 times, but numbers you could try and write a number that comes into your head for ten times.
  • Find a translation of ; I dont speak ******* well, but I can say what I need
  • Schedule lesson times for yourself.
  • Start in the 'I' form of a verb  and then move to the 'you' form.
  • Learn the inportant vebs first

Memorise Days, Months and Numbers

Its boring but so essential early days when you are in 'yourcountry'. Memorise then try to write them down all of them 10 times, but numbers you could try and write a number that comes into your head for ten times.

Find a translation of ;
I dont speak ******* well, but I can say what I need

The reason I do this is, because at an early stage of learning I only know a little vocbulary, a few verbs in a few forms and tenses. I know what I know and what I don't know. The problem is that the people I meet have no idea what I know or don't and the moment I say the first sentence fluently, they assume I know a lot more. I learnt the phrase in Spanish for 'Is there a petrol station near here' I had to as I had a moped that ran out frequently.
I said it so quickly the more I used it, that before I knew it, I was staring blankly at someone, not hearing a word they were saying, more out of fear and walking off pretending I understood.

Have a pen and paper and ask them to write things down. At least you can look at your dictionary later and evaluate what they said
Write that sentence down 10 times, speaking it out as you write it  In fact you could write that down every day until it trips off the mind and the tongue

Schedule

I think it is important that you have a discipline to learning. Time set aside for that purpose makes the brain open to learning rather than hoping things stick when randomly tuning in. An hour a day for learning the new, and then a half hour refresher later on, or the following morning.

Start in the 'I' form

You're first moments in a country that speaks another language to your own, will be spent asking for things. Directions, instructions, advice.etc,. So you will be talking a lot about yourself. The person talking back will talk more about you, in ascertaining your exact needs, which is why I learn the 'you' form at the same time so I might understand a little of what they are telling me.

Most of us know 'I' in a few languages already, je, ich, io, but in in some languages the 'I' is not used but a declension of the verb ending makes it fairly clear who is the subject of the verb. find in a dictionary or on-line the words for me, my, mine. Note also there is a form in most languages 'to me', 'to you' etc.
If the language you are learning uses the word for 'I' and 'you' then write the words out ten times down the left side of the page 10 times, down the left side of the page. If not then find the verb to be and find those two forms in verb to be. Note carefully, that in a lot of languages 'to be' has two verbs. One states what you are and the other states where, when, how, you are etc
eg I am a teacher, I am a doctor, I am old,  as opposed to, I am cold, I am sad, I am here, I am in Madrid

Do the same for verbs you will need to use a lot when arriving in the country of the language you are learning.
Need
Want
Would like
Must (have to)
Can (to be able, although I tended to use 'is it possible for me to', when asking 'can I' )

Don't forget to write them down 10 times changing from the 'I' form to the 'You' form as much as possible

Now this will get tedious after a while so spice it up a bit.
Think of things you might need, want. or would like and write them down after the verb and if it is a noun make sure you write the correct indefinite article depending on gender and if it is a verb find out whether you need to use the word 'to' before it.
I need to go, in Spanish is;- Necessito ir. 'a' which is Spanish for 'to', is not used

That's all from me for today. Tune in for tomorrows post and feel free to leave comments


No comments:

Post a Comment