Thursday 21 July 2011

Finding the Course for You

Starting to learn a new language is both exciting and intimidating .
Finding a course that suits yourself and your pocket can be exhausting in itself, before getting onto the actual learning and practice.
I am tired of being told that the only way to learn a language is this way, or that way and it seems everyone is an expert on how you should learn, without taking into account that we are not all the same .
Some like to learn phrases and have that ability to repeat parrot fashion a set phrase at the flick of a mental switch. Others like to be able to construct sentences, grammatically perfect, while others dive head first into utterances and see what develops by trial and error to make themselves understood.
I have tried to use a variety of techniques  in learning German, Spanish and now Italian and in doing so trawl the net for cheap or free material, such as courses, audio clips and various programmes that might instil in me the vocabulary, verb tenses or colloquialisms that will help me along on the quest to be able to communicate with other people in other countries.
I know a lot of secrets to quick learning and know the barriers that stop you learning to speak correctly without confusion.
I don't profess to achieving a great level of fluency in any language although my German was pretty good 30 years ago when I was confused for being a German by Austrian people. But what I can give to you is my experiences in learning these languages and even trial some of the 'pay for' materials out there so you can decide for yourself whether to shell out or not. 




No comments:

Post a Comment